Fwd: Non-text contrast research

interesting

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Fri, May 17, 2019 at 5:26 AM
Subject: RE: Non-text contrast research
To: W3C WAI ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi everyone,

Apologies, I should have not assumed the video player was accessible.
(Admittedly I didn’t think it would be great, but I thought the play button
would work :-/ )

This is a reflection on the limit of the screensharing tool & recording
facilities  we (the working group) have, which is nothing to do with the
folks at Google.

I’ve extracted the audio and video and put them in a basic browser players
here:

https://alastairc.uk/tests/wcag21-examples/ntc-research-video.html

or to play locally in your preferred player here is the MP4 (55MB):

https://alastairc.uk/tests/wcag21-examples/ntc-research-meeting.mp4

or the audio-only mp3 (25MB):

https://alastairc.uk/tests/wcag21-examples/ntc-research-meeting.mp3

For anyone on the AG working group, the minutes are also available from the
last meeting email.

Kind regards,

-Alastair

*From:* Alastair Campbell

Hi everyone,

The Accessibility Guidelines Working Group had a really interesting
presentation from & discussion with some of the accessibility folks at
Google.

The area of research was to do with non-text contrast, and involved
recruiting people with low-vision (assistive technology users) to test
certain button styles available in the Material design system.

The slides from the presentation area available here:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1CFNxozlyO1lmiyRVCFuhQ_0t2c5QTLskY03CCeTpUuA/edit#slide=id.g59fb189588_0_56

And there is a recording which I’d recommend for the audio, as the slides
are talked-through and generally described there:

https://mit.webex.com/mit/lsr.php?RCID=42dc7191ccb949e681ad88d6de4f1622

Practical (and *public*) research directly into these types of issues is
rare, so I’d like to say a big thank-you to the team at Google for sharing
this.

There are some recommendations that I’m sure we can act on, I’ll comment on
that separately, this email is to share the links and kick-off the
discussion.

Happy GAAD,

-Alastair

--