RE: Question from the mobile accessibility group to the Low-Vision and COGA groups

  *   Question: what are the use cases for Low Vision and COGA?

From a desktop scenario many people with low vision may have difficult time finding and precisely using the mouse pointer.  Because of this -- a significant number use the keyboard for navigation when possible.  Many of us use the mouse out of necessity because keyboard interacting is not effective either because of limited support for moving between sections of a page and because of poor visual indication of focus issues on web pages.

Anyway – because low vision users use the keyboard more often for navigating we lose the ability to get that hover feedback about actionable elements.  So often I find myself tabbing through the page just to find if there is a clickable element to see what is available.  Having better affordances would allow us to know what is clickable visually without having to move the mouse or the keyboard.  I often don’t know what on a page is interactive and when you are zoomed in your get a limited view of the page – so navigating with the keyboard to try and figure out what is interactive can wildly change the view from where you were on the page.

Jonathan

From: Kim Patch <kim@scriven.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:36 PM
To: public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org; public-mobile-a11y-tf@w3.org
Cc: public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org; Kathy Wahlbin <kathyw@ia11y.com>
Subject: Question from the mobile accessibility group to the Low-Vision and COGA groups

Greetings.

Here’s a question from the mobile accessibility group to the Low-Vision and COGA groups:

It’s important that controls have general affordances so users can tell that something is a link or button and can discern if an element is on or off.

But what are the accessibility arguments that go beyond usability for this?

We’re trying to collect user needs around this to see if we can narrow this to something that's focused and testable.

Question: what are the use cases for Low Vision and COGA?

Thanks much.

Cheers
Kim
--