From: Wayne Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2019 11:10 PM
To: public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Subject: Changes to Understanding 1.4.10

Dear LVTF,
The page:

http://nosetothepage.org/WCAG/1410/Und1410Change.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__nosetothepage.org_WCAG_1410_Und1410Change.html&d=DwMFaQ&c=WJBj9sUF1mbpVIAf3biu3CPHX4MeRjY_w4DerPlOmhQ&r=CueeOhb9CA5L2yfl16hThwCe1zS5LdHYD5MikPNgKr4&m=44EOoFNzVdZ8o0CSAYaQtsJXHdIltgiZuAqRXKi6LDI&s=EJdUp3Ds_MLezia1-AF4-fQb58TGRdHsBwVqZbPnf8k&e=>

Gives the changes I propose for Understanding 1.3.1. It includes an ambitious change to the Intent section. It also repairs the misleading text for 1.4.4. The reduction of 20px to 10px so that 400% would give 200% enlargement did not consider the impact for tunnel vision. The user who just wanted to shrink the viewport with no change in size would get a terrible shock when print sizes dropped to 10px (7.5 pt). That is badly outside the fluent range.

There are some additions to other sections. They are marked.

I also include a less ambitious change to Intent at:

http://nosetothepage.org/WCAG/1410/ModerateIntent.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__nosetothepage.org_WCAG_1410_ModerateIntent.html&d=DwMFaQ&c=WJBj9sUF1mbpVIAf3biu3CPHX4MeRjY_w4DerPlOmhQ&r=CueeOhb9CA5L2yfl16hThwCe1zS5LdHYD5MikPNgKr4&m=44EOoFNzVdZ8o0CSAYaQtsJXHdIltgiZuAqRXKi6LDI&s=tu64MxYKLIf4hIQoupLY3beJ3rzf_Qqz-PtPAF3f1Eo&e=>

We really did forget the tunnel vision use case which lead to the 1.4.4 mistake. Making font size smaller for narrower viewports will kill people with tunnel vision.

Best, Wayne