Re: Magnified Caption Files

comments inline

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 3:28 PM, John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com> wrote:

> Hi Jim & LVTF,
>
> Thanks for this - much appreciated.
>
> I was able to find a live instance of the Brightcove player with the
> caption settings control (click on the CC button to expand the menu), and
> was pleasantly surprised to see it supported magnification up to 400% -
> woot woot!!

​another plus for me is seeing ​

​an implementation (several) of UAAG 1.1.6 Use Configurable Text for
Time-based Media Captions: and 1.1.7 Allow Resize and Reposition of
Time-based Media Alternatives  (
https://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG20/#gl-access-alternative-content)

> Q: while SC 1.4.4 excludes captions specifically, would 'magnified
> captions' be covered by SC 1.4.10 Reflow, even if indirectly?

​Hmm...  that's interesting.​ We did not call out or specifically remove
captions, however browser zoom does not impact captions much.  they grow
with with video when zoomed. In my testing with zoom and youtube the 400%
captions created by the player were significantly larger than zooming the
video.  different mechanisms and perhaps different user agents.  How ever,
at least in youtube, if I change the setting to make captions 400% they
wrap automagically! double WOOT!!
I think in answer to your question... perhaps indirectly. different
mechanism. the permutations are complicated. sticking with youtube...
browser at 100%, video is roughly 25% of the screen. captions default to
100%. If I go to full screen video goes to 200%, and captions get a bit
bigger - doesn't look 200%.- I didn't get out my ruler. I can still go into
the player settings and change the captions to 200%. The already larger
captions (because of full screen) will now double in size. I could go on...
but too many variables. The bottom line is -  You don't lose content and
you don't scroll horizontally - so it works like it should.
I thought this would be a boon for mobile. alas no. there are no settings
for captions other than on/off in the app or desktop view. One hopes soon.
Today the desktop.... tomorrow the phone!

voice 512.206.9315    fax: 512.206.9452 http://www.tsbvi.edu/