From: Alastair Campbell [mailto:acampbell@nomensa.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 4:18 AM
To: Glenda Sims <glenda.sims@deque.com>; public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Please vote on proposed WCAG 2.1 SC for Color Contrast of User Interface Components

Hi Glenda,

Thanks for that, I was digging around for the correct link this morning.

There is one question I’m not sure was resolved which affects the general graphics contrast one as well. I asked here a while back but then didn’t follow up:

Logically (but without research) it seems that reading text is a harder task (visually and cognitively) than perceiving whether a line or box is there.

Is there any research that indicates either:
-          it is as difficult, or
-          it isn’t as difficult by X factor of difference.

I’m guessing no one has tried to research this aspect?

That’s the hardest question on the graphics contrast from the feedback, as the original WCAG 1.0/2.0 research was all for text.

Cheers,

-Alastair