Re: Combine 79, 78, and 74 SCs? (was Re: Mechanism Disclaimer)

> On Jan 21, 2017, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:
> "​The presentation of content does not interfere with the user agent's ability to allow the user to change foreground and background colors, font family​, ​or the spacing between characters, words, lines, or paragraphs​ to the element level, for the full range of values allowed by the user agent​."

-  This is an appropriate use of the word user - since is isn't about what a user can do - but what the user is allowed to do.

- But I worry about the constraints here.    What level was this going at?     This would look to outlaw any use of PDF even though we have PDF techniques — since PDF doesn’t allow these things.
Also any other technology that does not have a CSS like markup.

- is 2.1 moving to an HTML only web page approach?

- or does    "for the full range of values allowed by the user agent​.”  mean that if the user agent can’t make these changes (e.g. for PDF) then the content passes without doing any of these things?

- I see no problem with something like this at AAA  but wouldn’t putting it at A or AA limit the application of 2.1 to HTML or markup languages.  I might be wrong here - so this is a question rather than an assertion.

- As before — Do you have sufficient techniques for meeting this SC with different technologies?   That was one of the key tests we always used when creating a new SC in 2.0.   That would clarify what this means and what is possible and which technologies can be used.

Would there be a sufficient technique for this SC for PDF?

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden
greggvan@umd.edu