From: Wayne Dick [mailto:wayneedick@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2017 5:01 PM
To: public-low-vision-a11y-tf
Subject: We all must attend LVTF next week especially people with low vision

Things are going terribly for any customization.  WCAG WG has a visceral reaction to making developers do anything to support font-family, spacing or color. The fundamental attitude is that developers shouldn't have to lift a finger. If they object to something and we address it. They bring up something else. I really think they want to say Screen Magnifications Systems are all we need, and be done with it.
I think we should address it as follows. Right now the claim is that the ability to change spacing already exists for HTML, so it shouldn't be an SC. The same argument will be used for font-family. I say we modify our SCs to be element level access to spacing, font-family and color. The problem is easily solvable with ARIA. It is not without. We don't have to look far at all for a failure. The W3C  Wiki fails element level customization.
As soon as I'm done with this I will write up font-family with an element level orientation.
Next I think a test should be to place a style element at the end of the author's <head> that resets the spacing, font-family or color use !important. This will be an author level !important that will be broken by a style at the element level with !important. That will ensure that a mechanism exists, namely stylish.
If our efforts fail, I think we need to work on putting as many people with low vision as we can on the steps of

W3C MIT CSAIL
32 Vassar Street
Building 32-G528
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307