Re: Horizontal Scrolling for Reading Text: Why it doesn't work.

Dear Sean,
That is correct, but effective accommodation doesn't really begin until you
reach 300% (or you narrow the width of the field to about 1/30. The number
200% is a leftover from the paper era. It was almost impossible to create
large print books at more than 200%. It just took too much  paper.

You still find well meaning sites like the American Printing House for the
Blind that recommend using Braille if you need 280%. Since WCAG 2.0,
responsive web design has demonstrated the ability to enlarge by up to
500%. I requires a little arithmetic to see this. When we transform a site
that looks good on a 13 inch laptop to a 4.7 inch phone we accommodate for
2 shrinking processes. Reduction of width, and rotation to portrait mode.
The combined adjust is equivalent to shrinking text by 1/5.   If we stayed
on the laptop the same transformation could support 500% enlargement.

Technology has changed since WCAG 2.0. What seemed out of scope then is
mainstream technology. Right now there is no screen magnification system
that can enlarge at 300% with word wrapping and remain fully functional.
That is why we need to expand the size range with word wrapping.

Wayne