Re: Graphics contrast

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Glenda Sims <glenda.sims@deque.com> wrote:

> Alastair,
>
> I think you and I are thinking the same way.  The reason I'm not
> comfortable just saying "adjacent elements" is...I think it will be
> problematic to objectively measure.  Let's imagine a trashcan icon that is
> being used as an interactive element. Here is a simple example from my
> gmail account: [image: Inline image 1]
> In this case, the primary color of the trashcan is dark grey (#6E6E6E) and
> the primary color of the background is light grey (#F4F4F4).  Ignoring the
> anti-aliasing bits around the end of the trashcan...I grab a pixel of the
> dark grey to compare against a pixel of the light grey....and smile,
> because it is 4.6 to 1.
>
> BUT...what if the trashcan was rainbow striped diagonally, the lid was
> light purple, the background color was the same light grey  (#F4F4F4) as
> the previous example.
>
> [image: Inline image 4]
>
> For testing purposes...let's just focus on the lid...you would look at the
> light purple lid, in your mind, draw a "need to test the background color"
> 3px perimeter around the edge of the lid.  Your brain then says...oh, that
> is just one color in that 3px perimeter around the edge of the lid...so now
> I'll compare the light purple: #CBCBFE to the light grey #F4F4F4...see it
> is only 1.4 to 1, and say, that lid fails.

​agree, lid fails

> But if I had to do this with the trash can body...I would have to compare
> each stripe of the trashcan against the 3 px surrounding area just outside
> the edge of that color of the trashcan.
>
> So...there is NO requirement for borders on anything.  BUT...for testing
> purposes...we are going to look at the immediate 3 pixels perimeter.

​This is a poor example. nothing in the body of the trashcan passes. ​

​for argument, lets say the red stripes passed but nothing else does. I
think the icon fails.
if the trashcan has a 4.5:1 border with background only, I think the icon
passes.

--
Jim Allan, Accessibility Coordinator
1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756