Re: 1100% enlargement

This is in response to Scott primarily.

I think we are actually talking about the same thing, but you are not
taking the LVTF transformations as a whole into account. When we include,
linearization and element level customization, 1100% enlargement if you
want it is accessible at the browser level.

I doubt the LVTF is proposing full screen only. What we do want is display
of the block elements in linear format. One should be able to view that as
wide or narrow as needed. For text we say that the user can choose the line
length. LVTF has settled on that. Linearized display enables unlimited
enlargement with reflow. Without content that can display in a linear
format, one cannot write AT that resizes text with reflow as large as is
needed.

I did not address tables or images because we were talking about text
resizing. However, tables could be handled like this. We require that every
table cell containing text is no wider than the width of text columns
determined by the user. You may need to scroll horizontally to go from cell
to cell in the same row, but no cell will be wider than a line of text you
can read. Table text will always word wrap within cells.

Every standard browser could support the user’s required text resize within
this context. It would require appropriate extensions that support style
profiles for users. You don’t use zoom. You prescribe the text size element
by element. In this environment users could enlarge as far as they desired.

There should be no size limit. The user should just be able to customize at
the element level to obtain the best font size that fits on the screen or
viewport of the user's choice. For practical reasons the line length will
rarely get smaller than 15 characters per line. You will also see few pages
with less than 3 lines per page. So the dimensions of the viewport will
limit the practical font size. Again, users can choose the tradeoff between
font size and viewport information density.

A user who requires a narrower viewport will pay for that choice in font
size. Each person will find the best balance. But, for many users 1100%
will be most practical when supported with full word wrap and hyphenation.
Remember low vision includes the severe range (20/200 to 20/400), and many
of those people read visually and need extreme enlargement.  Right now AT
doesn't provide that as a practical option because the current price of
extremely large font size is horizontal scrolling. However, HTML with CSS
and/or JavaScript can do it now for content that linearizes. Once content
is constructed to support linearized display of block items, such
extensions will be possible.

The contribution of responsive web design is to prove linearization is
possible on complex active sites. The fact that current authors erect
barriers to this access is a problem of authorship. Content can do it.
Linearization is possible with full functionality. With that quality of
content, font size that fits the user need is more possible inside the user
agent than it is with the current AT.

Sincerely, Wayne