From: David MacDonald
Sent: Wednesday, July 6, 2016 9:44 AM
To: ALAN SMITH
Cc: Alastair Campbell; Laura Carlson; Jonathan Avila; public-mobile-a11y-tf@w3.org; WCAG; Low Vision Task Force
Subject: Re: 1100% may be physically impossible and still not achieve the results on smaller monitors

I've been teaching people with low vision transitioning to blindness for a number of years. Usually, by the time they are at  400-500% (4x to 5x on zoomtext), I'm saying something like this

"Ok, let's have that conversation about a dedicated screen reader again"

I had one student who was very attached to Zoom and hung on until 20x (which allows about 5 characters wide on a 27" screen), but when I finally convinced her to switch to a Screen Reader she said

"I can't believe I waited so long, this is sooooo much better."

I think for a user agent zoom we can't realistically be looking at more than 300-400% ... and that will require significant testing and mockups as a proof of concept...

The thinking in WCAG 2 was that people needing more than 200% generally have assistive technology but I (cautiously) think we could increase that to perhaps 400%.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.
Tel:  613.235.4902