RE: References for the Note

+1

From: Jim Allan [mailto:jimallan@tsbvi.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:32 AM
To: Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org>
Cc: public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Subject: Re: References for the Note

Agree.
References[1] for items in Requirements that need references. Research[2] for all the things we find.  A few (or some) might get used in References
1. https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/low-vision-a11y-tf/wiki/References

2. https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/low-vision-a11y-tf/wiki/Research

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 6:52 AM, Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org<mailto:shawn@w3.org>> wrote:
LVTF folks,

Much of the information in our draft Note "Accessibility Requirements for People with Low Vision" should have sources indicated. Some sentences have multiple points that should have sources.

If we were to include sources within the document in W3C reference style [W3C-Ref], it would significantly clutter the document and decrease readability for everyone (not specifically people with low vision :). For example, see the second paragraph of <https://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/> -- and consider that we would have multiple sources per sentence.

Also, many of the points in the Note have multiple good references. If the references were listed in the document, we would need to spend time and energy deciding which to include in the doc.

One approach would be to put the sources in a separate page. (We could put them in a wiki page for now so it is easy to edit, and move them to a WAI web page that is more stable when the Note is complete.)
This would avoid clutter in the main doc (and save us the energy of refining to a limited number of references for each point).

This approach is currently drafted. The Note Introduction <http://w3c.github.io/low-vision-a11y-tf/requirements.html#introduction> says:
"_References_ provides sources for the information in this document"

A References page is started at:
        <https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/low-vision-a11y-tf/wiki/References>
(We could still keep the listings limited to the more appropriate authoritative, original, and international references -- not just list all that we find.)

Thoughts on this approach?

~Shawn

[W3C-Ref] https://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/#References

--