RE: CSS background images and HCM [was: Low vision user requirements wiki page]

> So this issue is not specific to low vision.

The user requirement to turn off background images could also be an issue for users with cognitive disabilities.  It's not really an issue for screen reader users though.

The implementation is often an issue for screen reader users as supplying alt text for these images is not available in CSS3 so other techniques are used such as off-screen positioned text or aria-label, etc.

But the solution and impact on design for users of screen readers and users with low vision is totally different.  That is to solve the implementation for screen readers you add some programmatic text.  For users who want background images turned off you have to make sure you replace the background image with other content that will fit within the area and is also accessible, e.g. svg as opposed to icon fonts, etc.  That is the programmatic text is not surfaced by user agents and is often too large to fit into the area.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer