Re: CSS Branding Meeting?

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Hey, folks–
>
> Here are the slides.
>
> I'm happy to talk to anyone about the logo, and to hear any thoughts or
> reactions you might have.

I looked through the slides before I read the meeting transcript, and
my initial feelings were exactly echoed by several people on the call.
^_^

Overall, I like it.  CSS is definitely already blue-associated for
some reason (it's the color used when people do the CSS version of the
HTML5 badge design), and I like the hexagon/cube ambiguity.  It feeds
well into the curve of the C.

But the S part is... fiddly.  The middle S is too wiggly, too
intertwined, too complex.  It distracts the eye; while you can
certainly see the two separate S shapes when you look, at first glance
it's just a jumbled tangle in the center.  The two S's are going to
cross in the middle, that's unavoidable with this nested design and I
think it's okay, but it needs to be done more simply.  I suspect it
would work better with the middle S using a flat bar through the
center, and the inner S using a diagonal, rather than the current
design that's kinda the other way around.  It's the weird diagonal on
the middle S that messes things up for me - the design doesn't want
the S's diagonal to cut through the inner S too high, so it instead
does that stair-step thing that's visually confusing.

Alternately, avoid the S crossing entirely by breaking from strict
nesting and making them both small and straddling the center.  (That
is, both vertically centered, sitting next to each other around the
horizontal center.)  That maintains reading order, just with the
initial C extra big and swallowing the two S's.

~TJ