Re: LODCloud SPARQL Endpoints Spreadsheet

On 9/18/19 3:41 AM, Gray, Alasdair J G wrote:
> Hi
>
> What is the relationship between this effort and the lod cloud diagram?
> https://lod-cloud.net/
>
> Thanks
>
> Alasdair
>
> http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~ajg33

Hi Alasdair,

Ultimately, this effort should make the bubbles in the LODCloud easier
to understand e.g., does a node indicate existing of a SPARQL endpoint
or just a published dataset.

In the current state, the LODCloud is a little unclear to many. As an
insider, I know that the LOD Cloud comprises the following:

1. Datasets published using Linked Data principles

2. SPARQL endpoints associated with Datasets -- that may or may not be
functional which opens up a can of worms that are typically quite negative

One issue that has lingered in the wells of confusion for years is the
fact that SPARQL actually provides an effective tool for Linked Data
Deployment, as exemplified by DBpedia. It scales better than trying to
handle the name -> address indirection manually using a Web Server. A
few years ago that claim would have been challenged by a lot of doubt,
but 10+ years later we have concrete proof :)

Kingsley