Re: RDF ordered datasets

From: Pieter Colpaert <pieter.colpaert@ugent.be>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 10:14:49 +0100
To: public-lod@w3.org
Hi Albert,

In our work on public transport time schedules, our datasets are
hydra:Collections with a hydra:PartialCollectionView with hydra:next
links in between. A route planning algorithm downloading the data needs
to know that the departures of the trains/buses/... are ordered by
departureTime. Today we do this by assuming the result of our
hydra:search template will give an ordered result (as we defined our own
URI for this anyway:
http://semweb.mmlab.be/ns/linkedconnections#departureTimeQuery).

You can find more information, a specification, a demo, and source code
over here: https://linkedconnections.org. The benchmarks we ran are
focused on getting a high user perceived performance of route planning
queries by iterating over this paged collection (available on the github
and a paper [1]).

We’re now also looking for a way to introduce ordering in paged
collections on the Web. We’re thinking about proposing an extension to
hydra:PartialCollectionView where an ordering would be able to be
indicated, although I still have to look what has been discussed in the
past about this matter.

Hope this helps,

Pieter

[1] https://pietercolpaert.be/papers/icwe2017-lc