Re: KBpedia v 160 Now Open Source

Hi Michael,

See my comments below:

On 10/26/2018 5:55 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:25:16AM -0500, Mike Bergman wrote:
>> KBpedia, written in RDF, SKOS and OWL 2, depending on function, includes
>> 55,000 reference concepts, about 30 million entities, and 5,000 relations
>> and properties
>
> On http://kbpedia.org/resources/faq/#f14 you write:
>
>   "There are 55,000 reference concepts, 30 million entities, 3.5+ billion direct assertions, and nearly 7 billion inferred facts on KBpedia."
>
> On http://kbpedia.org/resources/downloads/ you write:
>
>   "The complete KBpedia knowledge graph (7 MB, zipped)"
>
> What you offer for download seems to be the KBpedia Knowledge Ontology. Why is it called "The complete KBpedia knowledge graph"?

KKO is the upper ontology of about 200 concepts. The 'complete KBpedia
knowledge graph' includes the 55 K concepts organized according to the
KKO, as well as the 5 K properties. It is the 7 MB download on the page
you referenced. It is the best place to see KBpedia in full in an
ontology editor.

> Where can I download those 30 million entities, 3.5+ billion direct assertions, and nearly 7 billion inferred facts?

Two of the additional pages referenced on the download page,
https://github.com/Cognonto/kbpedia/blob/master/versions/1.60/kbpedia_reference_concepts_linkage.zip
and
https://github.com/Cognonto/kbpedia/blob/master/versions/1.60/kko.n3,
provide the linkages to the entity information, principally via DBpedia
and Wikidata (Q ids). These are NOT part of a download, since they are
maintained by their native publishers. (You can also re-construct the
instance lookup via the linkage files at
https://github.com/Cognonto/kbpedia/tree/master/versions/1.60/linkages.)

Access to these is relatively straightforward. See, for example, the 207
entities for the 'dog' entry in the KBpedia explorer:
http://kbpedia.org/entity/browse/?class=http%3A%2F%2Fkbpedia.org%2Fkko%2Frc%2FDog&offset=0

The 30 million estimate comes from calculating all of the unique
instances accessible via KBpedia from these two (principal) sources.

> Is there a SPARQL endpoint (free or paid)?

We are using our own SPARQL endpoint to populate the queries on the
KBpedia explorer. It is not presently available as either a free or paid
service.

We have tentative plans to open source the build code for KBpedia and
would love to offer free SPARQL endpoints, but can make no definitive
commitments at present.

> Is there anything to convince me this will still be curated in 5-10 years from now?

I had to laugh at this one. I can't guarantee I will not be hit by a bus
tomorrow.

But, seriously, one of the reasons to open source this material is to
get it into the public domain and hopefully see a community of users and
improvers emerge. While we have been dedicated around KBpedia and its
predecessor efforts for now more than a decade, and I personally plan to
keep working on this system for as long as I can, I would not try to
convince you about the ultimate life of KBpedia. I am curious to find
out myself, and hopefully will never know because I'll be long gone if
it still finds use.

Best, Mike