Next Steps (was: Re: LOD Cloud Diagram Update)

On 2018-04-30 13:20, John McCrae wrote:

> We have released a new update of the LOD Cloud Diagram at:
>
> http://lod-cloud.net/

IMHO:

I propose that the generation of the visualisation minimises human
involvement - from the point of letting the index know about what's out
there to actually verifying, and then generating the visualisation.

One way to do that can be along these lines:

https://linkedresearch.org/cloud

In a nutshell:

1. Send a Linked Data Notification ( https://www.w3.org/TR/ldn/ ) to the
cloud's inbox(es) indicating what, where..

2. Consume the notifications in the inbox and auto-generate the
visualisation (as well as for other reasons for anyone to process the
notifications).

Many things to improve but the main architecture is there staring at us.

But hang on, we're not done! There is a whole set of R&D challenges
waiting for this community to pick up on:

* Shape of the notification (what should it say?)
* Filtering.. (eg. spam prevention)
* Authentication/Authorization (consider possible restrictions..)
* Inbox management (how many inboxes, how big.. paging?..)
* Findability/Searching..
* Offer "cool" interactive virtualisations
* Creative reuse, analysis..

I suggest that addressing the above should be community driven. Maybe
even have open challenges/articles/demos at (Semantic) Web conferences ;)

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i