Re: Is LOD-cloud alive?

Hi Ghislain,

Sorry for not being clear enough. To the best of my understanding (and
by trying myself) you cannot simply submit your ontology to LOV and it
will be listed there. The LOV team will, for instance, ask you to align
your ontology to other ontologies. This may turn out to be difficult for
various reasons. For example,  for legal reasons companies that develop
ontologies sometimes do not want to have relations to other ontologies
in their own ontology especially not to ontologies developed with an
unknown maintenance model. Many ontologies were developed by students as
part of their dissertation or projects and are not maintained anymore.
While this is often no issue for us as a research community, it causes
problems for the industry. Some industry and government branches, for
instance, are only allowed to use technologies and specifications that
have been standardized before. Similarly, if you develop an atomic
ontology design pattern, you may not want to align it. Best practice is
always context dependent.

My main issue with such an 'edited' repository with a small set of gate
keepers is that the Web and the Linked Data cloud follow the AAA(AA)
slogan, i.e., "Anyone can say Anything about Any topic (Anywhere and at
Any time)". For instance, there are datasets on the Linked Data cloud
that contain errors, are following very diverse modeling styles, and so
forth. Ideally, an open vocabulary/ontology repository would only
control for spam and so forth, but not for the style or engineering
philosophy of the submitted ontologies. Don't get me wrong, I would love
to have more ontologies submitted to LOV and use LOV frequently, but I
cannot submit some of the ontologies in which I was involved for the
reasons mentioned above.

Cheers,
Krzysztof

--
Krzysztof Janowicz

4830 Ellison Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4060

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu
Webpage: http://geog.ucsb.edu/~jano/