Re: Are cool URIs for life?

On 29 April 2017 at 05:02, David Wood <david@3roundstones.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I don’t check this email address very often any more, but this
> conversation caught my attention.
>
> Two quick points:
>
> 1) Persistence of URIs: This problem has been well known and acknowledged
> since at least 1995 when PURLs were first introduced. On the positive side,
> we still have URLs and DNS 22 years later.
>
> 2) On the negative side, do any of us really think that DNS is going to be
> around for too many more decades? I rather doubt it.
>
> We had some excellent discussions at WWW 2017 in Perth regarding various
> problems with distributed and centralised identifiers, and mappings between
> the two. It seems to me that we are getting conceptually close to defining
> global identifier mechanisms without the need for DNS. That would cause a
> bit of work to adjust to, wouldn’t it?

DNS thrives, and will continue to thrive, based, not on technical merit,
but rather, on the network that has built up around it.

Making a dent in http, to move to https, which was really a kludge, has
been a multi decade uphill struggle.

Making a dent in DNS is going to be a much harder struggle, because it is
so widely deployed and used.

There was a suggestion by TimBL, that we say http sameAs https for all
URIs, which makes a lot of sense.