Re: Are cool URIs for life?

Just reacting on this somewhat philosophically… shouldn't the subject say "Are cool URIs for life and death?"

The problem is that there is no guarantee that the HTTP URI-s will remain unchanged. The recent HTTP to HTTPS push is just one of the most visible signs of how fragile it is. But, for example, can you really be sure that you can maintain "csarven.ca", or I can maintain "www.ivan-herman.net" for life? What if the business model for domain names changes radically (say, my current registar goes belly up) in such a way that I cannot keep the domain name? What if the political environment forces a person to use a national domain rather than an international one like ".net"? Or only Canadian citizens are allowed to use a ".ca" domain (unless you are a Canadian citizen in which case this is not a problem)? And, of course, what happens when I pass away? How long would my domain name stay around, and how can I ensure that another person, called Ivan Herman, doesn't decide to reuse (unknowingly) the same domain in, say, 30 years when I may not be around?

The problem I see is that we try to piggyback a very very strong feature and requirement like our personal identity on a feature/business environment that does not really care about all those consequences. Ideally, we should have a separate TLD whose very purpose is to provide identities to people, and would, somehow, ensure services that answer to all these questions. But, afaik, we do not have that. (There is a TLD called .name, but is very seldom used and I have no idea what special features it has, if any.)

(In the meantime, because I moved my web site to https, I announce https://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf#me as my personal ID, and I add an owl:sameAs to http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf#me in the corresponding RDFa/Turtle file.)

Ivan

> On 27 Apr 2017, at 14:24, Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca> wrote:
>
> Are "cool URIs don't change" for life?
>
> Would the policing of this fall under the jurisdiction of pedantic-web?
>
> Discuss.
>
> Aside: Please help me decide on this burning issue that I've been
> putting off: https://twitter.com/csarven/status/857569335908454401
>
> -Sarven
> http://csarven.ca/#i

----