Re: Are cool URIs for life?

On 27 April 2017 at 17:49, Marcel Fröhlich <marcel.frohlich@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Read first, answer later ...
> I do understand the difference between naming and addressing.
> And yes, you can have a "http://" substring as part of a name without
> creating an immediate problem.
> But then why not keeping it separate, because sometimes you want to change
> the access method,
> and looking at the http vs https discussion, you may end up with problems
> later, e.g. because of some meta characters.
> Or is it straight forward to access the http-URI using https protocol
> without applying any additional tricks?

I think there are two related conversations.

One is about naming and technical aspects.

The other is about the network effect, convenience and utility.

It would be easy to give these equal weight, but I suggest giving the
network effect an 80% weighting and technical considerations 20%.

I plucked those numbers out of thin air, but there may be some mathematics
to do with a square law and connections that could derive better weightings.