Re: Please publish Turtle or JSON-LD instead of RDF/XML [was Re: Recommendation for transformation of RDF/XML to JSON-LD in a web browser?]

On Sep 4, 2015 12:18 PM, "Stian Soiland-Reyes" <
soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> One problem is that what many web developer likes is JSON with a
> structure. We already had RDF/JSON which was a flat and verbose
> "subject":  { "uri": "http://example.com/" }  style serialization that
> nobody liked.
>
> What made JSON-LD popular is the @context - being able to simplify
> namespaces and structures, but also that applications can give out a
> consistent JSON structure that just happens to also be LD and have
> clearly defined semantics of the links and properties.
>

> This is easy enough if your data is stored in a relational or no-sql
> database, and you generate the JSON with a template.
>
> However, if your data is stored natively in a triple/quad store, then
> to produce a consistent JSON structure you would currently have to use
> hard-coded templates and custom code (which sounds silly, converting
> from RDF to RDF manually),  or use JSON-LD Framing, which has not been
> fully standardized, and has many missing features and bugs.   I think
> we need to work more on the Framing, so that RDF can be more than just
> a publication format.

I believe any model-sensitive serialization will always be more appealing
to consumers, usually at the cost of having programmer brains in the loop.
You effectively have to parse your domain model out of the graph and take
advantage of structural constraints to sensibly normalize program
interfaces. I'm interested in existing template/grammar-based tools for
this. Pointers?

> JSON-LD Framing was also meant as a way for applications to receive
> arbitrary JSON-LD content, and then frame it and apply a new @context
> to shape/select the particular bits of the data the application is
> interested in.
>
> (Mandatory XSLT warning applies)
>

> On 3 September 2015 at 22:34, Paul Houle <ontology2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Bernadette,
> >
> >      it is not just perception,  it is reality.
> >
> >      People find JSON-LD easy to work with,  and often it is a simple
> > lossless model-driven transformation from an RDF graph to a JSON graph
that
> > people can do what they want with.
> >
> >      Ultimately RDF is a universal data model and it is the data model
that
> > is important,  NOT the specific implementations.  For instance you can
do a
> > model-driven transformation of data from RDF to JSON-LD and then any
JSON

bhyland@3roundstones.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> +1 David, well said.
> >>
> >> Amazing how much the mention of JSON (in the phase JSON-LD) puts
people at
> >> ease vs. RDF <anything>.  JSON-LD as a Recommendation has helped lower
the
> >> defenses of many who used to get their hackles up and say ‘RDF is too
hard'.

> >> Perception counts for a lot, even for highly technical people including
> >> Web developers.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Bernadette Hyland
> >> CEO, 3 Round Stones, Inc.
> >>
> >> http://3roundstones.com  || http://about.me/bernadettehyland
> >>

> >> On Sep 3, 2015, at 1:03 PM, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Side note: RDF/XML was the first RDF serialization standardized, over
15
> >> years ago, at a time when XML was all the buzz. Since then other
> >> serializations have been standardized that are far more human friendly
> >> read and write, and easier for programmers to use, such as Turtle and
> >> JSON-LD.
> >>
> >> However, even beyond ease of use, one of the biggest problems with
RDF/XML

http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718