Re: Please publish Turtle or JSON-LD instead of RDF/XML [was Re: Recommendation for transformation of RDF/XML to JSON-LD in a web browser?]

The discussion in the other thread has shown that RDF/XML conversion to
JSON-LD or Turtle is easy in many popular languages.  Often I have to
export stuff as RDF/XML for use by older tools and I have not hit the
corner cases in the export,  although I sure have hit corner cases inside
the tools and with good 'old N-Triples.

I agree with the theme that pedagogy is important,  RDF beginners or
part-timers need to see how simple it really is and the newer formats help
with that.

There is though a change in psychology that comes with JSON-LD which boils
down to the role of ordered collections in RDF.

Despite all it lacks,  JSON is broadly popular and I think that is because
it is based on the $-scalar, @-list and %-hash model that was in Perl,
 that most dynamic languages since then put those on your fingertips and
they are in the standard library even in those awkward languages.

There is a fear of ordered collection in RDF because it brings up a number
of issues with blank nodes,  but when it comes down to it you can express
what people are trying to express in JSON in Turtle and it doesn't look all
that different.

JSON-LD transparently adds what is missing in JSON,  such as decimal types
which are correct for handling money as well as the ISO 8401 'standard' for
dates and times which is better than no standard at all.

It is so much fun to work with a RDF graph the same way you would with a
JSON document,  then do some rules-based inference,  do a SPARQL query or
add the graph to a big graph with millions of other documents and query
*that* with SPARQL.

The connection with XML is something to be revisited too.  Kurt Cagle told
me that he got into RDF because he saw it is as the logical continuation of
XML.  That's really right,  since RDF incorporates the types from
XML-schema.

What we need is a way to throw XML into a meat grinder,  decompose it into
triples without any configuration at all.  I will say I had GRDDL,  XSLT
and all they stand for and much prefer to just build out an XML DOM graph,
 which won't be quite the graph you want but with SPARQL CONSTRUCT queries,
 production rules, and a few specialized operators it is easy and much more
structurally stable than XSLT.

--
Paul Houle

*Applying Schemas for Natural Language Processing, Distributed Systems,
Classification and Text Mining and Data Lakes*

(607) 539 6254    paul.houle on Skype   ontology2@gmail.com

:BaseKB -- Query Freebase Data With SPARQL
http://basekb.com/gold/

Legal Entity Identifier Lookup
https://legalentityidentifier.info/lei/lookup/
<http://legalentityidentifier.info/lei/lookup/>