Re: What Happened to the Semantic Web?

From: Wouter Beek <w.g.j.beek@vu.nl>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:45:17 +0100
To: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
CC: Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>, "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>
​Hi Melvin,​

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 12:24 AM, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
wrote:

​Today we are nowhere near this vision.  In fact,
>> ​​
>> we may be further removed from it today than we were in 2001.  If you
>> look at the last ISWC there was particularly little work on (Web) agents.
>>
> I think this may be more a reflection on ISWC than the semantic web.

​Good point.​

It's hard to make a useful client side app that is original, because
> normally the same functionality exists somewhere on some server.  So at
> that point it probably will struggle to qualify as original research.

I was also referring to more theoretic research into agents, agent calculi
and the like as a basis for computation.  If you search for "​Semantic Web
agents​" on Google Scholar you find that most papers are from 2001-2005.
This was apparently a research focus back then, which is what I meant when
I said that "
​
we may be further removed from it today than we were in 2001."

---
Best,
Woute
​r​