Re: What Happened to the Semantic Web?

From: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 18:36:17 +0000 (UTC)
To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>
Cc: <public-lod@w3.org>, "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>

On Wed, 11/11/15, Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be> wrote:

 Subject: Re: What Happened to the Semantic Web?
 To: "Kingsley Idehen" <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
 Cc: public-lod@w3.org, "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>
 Date: Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 11:25 AM

To me, The Semantic Web is like Google, but then run on my machine. My client that knows my preferences, doesn't share them, but uses them the find information on the Web for me. I still hope to see that. Then, we might be there.

Nicely put Ruben.

I live in the countryside now, but lived in large cities for a couple of decades.  I prefer the country, but it is a negative pattern.  In a large city one is never far from a place one would rather not be.  The unease is constant and persistent.  To the extent that Google insists I "experience" my kitchen on their terms I have no time for them.