RE: Profiles in Linked Data

Martynas,

On Monday, May 18, 2015 3:14 PM, Martynas Jusevičius wrote:

> what you describe here is a classic case of data quality control. You
> don't want any data to enter your system that does not validate
> against your constraints.

Yes, that is one use case.

> As mentioned before, SPARQL and SPIN has been used for this purpose
> for a long time. There are readily available constraint libraries:
> http://semwebquality.org/ontologies/dq-constraints. But you can easily
> create custom ones since they're just SPARQL queries. Constrains can
> be (de)referenced from remote systems as well.

OK, what I haven't understood yet is how a client and a server can negotiate the constraints the client wants the data to meet.

Given is a server that has no SPARQL endpoint but is capable to serve RDF conforming to two profiles/shapes/preferences "profile:A" and "profile:B" (possibly identified by the URIs http://example.com/profiles/A and http://example.com/profiles/B). When a client wants data adhering to profile:B in text/turtle, what would the http GET request look like, and what would you get when you dereference http://example.com/profiles/B with "Accept: text/turtle"?

> Our Graphity Linked Data platform provides a SPIN validator which
> checks every incoming RDF request:
> http://graphityhq.com/technology/graphity-processor#features

Nice, but my case is not only about validation. It's also about having a way to describe the constraints in a fashion that clients and servers can understand. If I understand correctly, you say that SPIN is the best way of doing that.

Best,

Lars