Re: Profiles in Linked Data

On 5/11/15 4:22 PM, Paul Houle wrote:
> I think there's the issue of the data format but also the problem that
>
> <http://someorganization.org/namespace/something>
>
> might represent someorganization.org <http://someorganization.org>'s
> viewpoint about :something if you are lucky.  On the other hand you
> might want to know what somebody else thinks about that "thing"  --
> i.e. you might want to follow a dbpedia identifier to get schema.org
> <http://schema.org> information on it that somebodyelse.net
> <http://somebodyelse.net> has compiled on the dbpedia universe.
>
> I.e. fundamentally dereferencing has to be extended to support the
> idea of "what does source X think about resource Y?"

That's what you get via a SPARQL Query Results URL. At the end of the
day, the aforementioned URL identifies a document comprised of content
that's dynamically generated from relational variables in the query body
combined with solution output directives associated with select,
construct, or describe query types.

> There is also the need to recognize that dereferencing has created a
> lot of confusion.

Yes, there is still mass confusion about HTTP URI based Names :(

As you know, Names have denotation and connotation duality i.e., a Name
by definition has interpretation that describes its referent. Thus,
Identifying anything with an HTTP URI based name implies it is
interpretable on an HTTP Network.

> I suspect some people have been intimidated from using RDF because
> they think that having names based on URLs means that they *have* to
> publish everything on the web.
Yes.

As to the scope of HTTP Name interpretation (public or private), that
should really boil down to resource access controls [1] that are also
driven by entity relationship type semantics.

Links:

[1] http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebAccessControl -- Web Access Controls
related Wiki

[2]
http://www.slideshare.net/kidehen/how-virtuoso-enables-attributed-based-access-controls
-- How fine-grained ACLs are implemented (using RDF) in Virtuoso .

Kingsley