Re: How do you explore a SPARQL Endpoint?

Hi Pavel

Maybe what you are missing is that RDF data, by design, do not need a
schema. Since the very notion of schema for RDF data has no meaning at all,
and the absence of schema is a bit frightening, people tend to give it a
lot of possible meanings, depending on your closed world or open world
assumption, otherwise said if the "schema" will be used for some kind of
inference or validation. The use of "Schema" in RDFS has done nothing to
clarify this, and the use of "Ontology" in OWL added a layer of confusion.
I tend to say "vocabulary" to name the set of types and predicates used by
a dataset (like in Linked Open Vocabularies), which is a minimal commitment
to how it is considered by the dataset owner, bearing in mind that this
"vocabulary" is generally a mix of imported terms from SKOS, FOAF, Dublin
Core ... and home-made ones. Which is completely OK with the spirit of RDF.

The brand new LDOM [1] or whatever it ends up to be named at the end of the
day might clarify the situation, or muddle those waters a bit more :)

[1] http://spinrdf.org/ldomprimer.html

--

*Bernard Vatant*
Vocabularies & Data Engineering