Re: [Ann] WebVOWL 0.3 - Visualize your ontology on the web

Hi John,

On 09.01.2015 14:08, John Walker wrote:
>   On January 9, 2015 at 1:15 PM Steffen Lohmann
> <steffen.lohmann@vis.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
>> On 09.01.2015 11:59, John Walker wrote:
>>> I see under Selection Details that there is a count of instances
>>> when a class is selected.
>>> Is there any option to show other otherwise enumerate the instances
>>> of a class?
>>> Maybe showing the instances in the graph might clutter things up
>>> (could add a filter for this), but simply adding a list of links
>>> under Selection Details would be a good start.
>>
>> Good point. It is already on our list of issues and also defined in
>> the VOWL 2 spec: http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/v2/#individuals
>> We will not go for the VOWL 1 representation in WebVOWL for several
>> reasons, but use the recommended implementation in the sidebar (as
>> you also proposed). We may, however, not list all individuals but
>> only a subset (if there are many), as VOWL focuses on the TBox and as
>> VOWL-JSON files could become quite large if we would include all
>> individuals. We may use separate JSON files for TBox and ABox in some
>> future version of WebVOWL, but this requires some major structural
>> changes.
>
> In those cases where those individuals are part of the
> ontology/vocabulary, I would consider them as part of the terminology
> and useful to include in the visualization somehow. Of course you
> would want to start visualizing all resources with type foaf:Person :)

That's right (as there is no strict separation between TBox and ABox in
OWL). We will see what we can do here. We plan to list at least up to a
certain number of individuals in WebVOWL in the future.

>>> This would be useful if the ontology contains, for example, code lists.
>>
>> Do you have a good example for such an ontology? Or for any other
>> ontology that contains many individuals?
>
> I was trying it out with the current draft GS1 Vocabulary:
>
> http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/webvowl/#iri=http://dydra.com/nlv01111/gs1.ttl
>
> Something like GoodRelations also contains predefined/enumerated lists
> of values:
>
> http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/webvowl/#iri=http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1

Thank you. These are indeed good examples for ontologies with
individuals. We will use them as test cases.

> In the GS1 case I notice many of the classes are shown in darker blue
> as they are not defined to be an owl:Class, however some of the
> classes like http://gs1.org/voc/FasteningTypeCode are shown in lighter
> blue and shown with type owl:Class even though this is not stated in
> the source data. Any ideas why?

Dark blue is the recommended color for external elements, i.e. elements
whose base URI differs from that of the visualized ontology - see
http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/v2/#externalElements and
http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/v2/#colorExternal

You are right that the coloring is partly wrong for the above
ontologies. This seems to be a bug in our OWL2VOWL converter, resulting
from an internal comparison of the ontology IRI with the element IRI. We
will fix it in the next release.

Thanks again for your feedback,
Steffen

--
Dr. Steffen Lohmann . Visualization and Interactive Systems (VIS)
University of Stuttgart . Universitaetstrasse 38 . D-70569 Stuttgart