Re: AJAR (WAS: "Microsoft Access" for RDF?)

On 2/24/15 12:20 PM, Paul Tyson wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-02-24 at 11:43 -0500, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> It looks like that on the surface, but it simply boils down to:
>>
>> 1. Javascript
>> 2. Ajar (Asynchronous JavaScript and RDF) -- TimBL tried to kick of this
>> "Ajar" meme a few years ago with limited uptake, but its darn neat!)
> Kingsley, do you have further references for "AJAR"? It sounds like the
> approach I stumbled onto while looking for a sensible way to make a
> heavy client for displaying RDF. In theory it could provide great power
> and simplicity, but I can't say I've worked through the initial
> complexity to prove the point.
>
> Regards,
> --Paul

Quick description of an old TimBL post related to Ajar, using nanotation
(which turns this post into an RDF data source) [1]:

{
     <> a schema:WebPage ;
     rdfs:label "Description of Ajar related items" ;
     rdfs:comment """Describes Ajar concept and a related Blog Posting.
                 """ ;
     dcterms:created "2015-02-24T13:47:00-05:00"^^xsd:dateTime ;
     foaf:maker <http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this> ;
     xhv:license <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.en_US> ;
     cc:attributionName "Kingsley Uyi Idehen" ;
     schema:about <http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/62/>,
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ajar#this> .

     <http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/62/>
     a schema:BlogPosting ;
     schema:about <https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ajar#this> ;
     rdfs:label "Links on the Semantic Web" ;
     foaf:maker <http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i> ;
     dcterms:created "2005-12-30T15:04:00-05:00"^^xsd:dateTime ;
     rdfs:comment """On the Semantic Web, links are also critical. Here,
the local name, and the URI formed using the hash,
                     refer to arbitrary things. When a semantic web
document gives information about something, and uses a
                     URI formed from the name of a different document,
like foo.rdf#bar, then that's an invitation to look
                     up the document, if you want more information
about. I'd like people to use them more, and I think we
                     need to develop algorithms which for deciding when
to follow Semantic Web links as a function of what
                     we are looking for. -- TimBL
                 """ ;
     rdfs:comment """
                     To play with semantic web links, I made a toy
semantic web browser, Tabulator. Toy, because it is hacked up in
                     Javascript (a change from my usual Python) to
experiment with these ideas. It is AJAR - Asynchronous Javascript
                     and RDF. I started off with Jim Ley's RDF Parser
and added a little data store. The store understands the mimimal
                     OWL ([inverse] functional properties, sameAs) to
smush nodes representing the same thing together, so it doesn't
                     matter if people use many different URIs for the
same thing, which of course they can. It has a simple index and
                     supports simple query. The API is more or less the
one which cwm and had been tending toward in python.
                     -- TimBL
                 """;
     schema:url <http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/62> ;
     sioc:links_to <http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/taxonomy/term/17/>,
<http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/taxonomy/term/20/>,
<http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/taxonomy/term/1/> ;
     rdfs:seeAlso <http://dig.csail.mit.edu/2005/ajar/ajaw/Developer.html> ;
     opl:mentions <https://twitter.com/hashtage/Ajar#this> .

     <https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ajar#this>
     a skos:Concept ;
     rdfs:label "Ajar" ;
     skos:prefLabel "Asynchronous Javascript and RDF" ;
     is schema:about of
<http://dig.csail.mit.edu/2005/ajar/ajaw/Developer.html>,
<http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/62/>;
     rdfs:comment """Leveraging abstraction nature of RDF Language in
conjunction with  XMLHttpRequest where format-specific is replaced with
RDF [which is                                serializable using a
variety of serialization formats].  XMLHttpRequest isn't actually XML
specific.""";
     xhv:related <http://www.w3schools.com/json/json_http.asp> .
}

Hope that helps.

[1] http://kidehen.blogspot.com/2014/07/nanotation.html -- Nanotation
(which enables the embedding of RDF statements, using TURTLE notation,
wherever plain text input is allowed)

[2] http://kingsley.idehen.net/c/D5MTTC -- processed version of
nantotions above (from a document saved to my Briefcase).

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com