Re: scientific publishing process (was Re: Cost and access)

On 10/8/14 10:18 AM, Sarven Capadisli wrote:
> On 2014-10-08 15:14, Luca Matteis wrote:
>> Dear Sarven,
>>
>> I really appreciate the work that you're doing with trying to style an
>> HTML page to look similar to the Latex templates. But there's so many
>> typesetting details that are not available in browsers, which means
>> you're going to do a lot of DOM hacking to be able to produce the same
>> quality typography that Latex is capable of. Latex will justify text,
>> automatically hyphenate, provide proper spacing, and other typesetting
>> features. Not to mention kerning. Kerning is a *huge* thing in
>> typography and with HTML you're stuck with creating a DOM element for
>> every single letter - yup you heard me right.
>>
>> I think it would be super cool to create some sort of JavaScript
>> framework that would enable the same level of typography that Latex is
>> capable of, but you'll eventually hit some hard limitations and you'll
>> probably be stuck drawing on a canvas.
>>
>> What are your ideas regarding these problems?
>
> We do not have to have everything pixel perfect and comprehensive all
> up front. That is a common pitfall. Applying the Pareto principle is
> preferable.
>
> LaTeX is great for what it is intended for! This was never in
> question. We are however looking at a bigger picture for Web Science
> communication and access. There will be far more concerns than the
> presentation layer alone.
>
> As for your technical questions: we need to create issues or features,
> and more importantly, open discussions like in these threads, to
> better understand what the SW research community's needs are. So,
> please create an issue because what you raise is important to be
> looked into further. I do not have all the technical answers, even
> though I am very close to the world of typeface, typography, and book
> design :)
>
> In any case, if it was possible in LaTeX, I hope it is not naive of me
> to say that it can be achieved (if not already) in HTML+CSS+JavaScript.
>
> -Sarven
> http://csarven.ca/#i
Sarven,

Linked Open Data dogfooding, re., issue tracking i.e., a 5-Star Linked
Open Data URI that identifies Github issue tracker for Linked Data Research:

[1]
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/id/entity/https/github.com/csarven/linked-research/issues/4
-- Linked Open Data URI (basic entity description page)
[2] http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/8FDBH7 -- deeper follow-your-nose
over relations facets oriented entity description page
[3]
http://bit.ly/vapor-report-on-linked-data-uri-that-identifies-a-github-issue-re-linked-research-data
-- Vapor Report (re., Linked Open Data principles adherence) .

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com