Re: scientific publishing process (was Re: Cost and access)

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Well, somehow png files are being produced for some math, which is a failure.
>>
>> Yeah, you have to tell it to do mathml. The problem is that older
>> versions of the browsers don't render mathml, and image rendering was
>> the only option.
>
> Well, then someone is going to have to tell people how to do this.  What I saw
> for htlatex was that it just did the right thing.

So, htlatex is part of TeX4Ht which does HTML.

If you do xhmlatex then you get XHTML with, indeed, math mode in MathML.
So, for example, this output comes with the default xhmlatex.

<math
 xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"
display="inline" ><mi
>e</mi> <mo
class="MathClass-rel">=</mo> <mi
>m</mi><msup><mrow
><mi
>c</mi></mrow><mrow
></math>

tex4ht takes the slight strange approach of having an strange and
incomprehensible command line, and then lots of scripts which do default
options, of which xhmlatex is one. In my installation, they've only put
the basic ones into the path, so I ran this with
/usr/share/tex4ht/xhmlatex.

Phil