Re: scientific publishing process (was Re: Cost and access)

On 10/06/2014 04:27 AM, Phillip Lord wrote:

[On using htlatex for conferences.]

> So, as well as providing a LNCS stylesheet, we'd need a htlatex cf.cfg,
> and one CSS and it's done. Be good to have another CSS for on-screen
> viewing; LNCS's back of a postage stamp is very poor for that.
>
> Phil

I would be totally astonished if using htlatex as the main way to produce
conference papers were as simple as this.

I just tried htlatex on my ISWC paper, and the result was, to put it mildly,
horrible.  (One of my AAAI papers was about the same, the other one caused an
undefined control sequence and only produced one page of output.)   Several
parts of the paper were rendered in fixed-width fonts.  There was no attempt
to limit line length.  Footnotes were in separate files.  Many non-scalable
images were included, even for simple math.  My carefully designed layout for
examples was modified in ways that made the examples harder to understand.
The footnotes did not show up at all in the printed version.

That said, the result was better than I expected.  If someone upgrades htlatex
to work well I'm quite willing to use it, but I expect that a lot of work is
going to be needed.

peter