Re: scientific publishing process (was Re: Cost and access)

Hi Alexander,
> On 5 Oct 2014, at 15:57, Alexander Garcia Castro <alexgarciac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> metadata, sure. it is a must. BUT good and thought for the web of data. not designed for paper based collections. From my experience it is not so much about representing everything from the paper as triplets. there will be statements that won't be representable, also, such approach may not be efficient.
>
> why don't we just go a little bit further up from the lowest hanging fruit and start talking about self describing documents? well annotated documents with well structured metadata that are interoperable. this is easy, achievable, requires little tooling, does not put any burden on the author, delivers interoperability beyond just simple hyperlinks, it is much more elegant than adhering to HTML, etc.
You lost me here.
Who or what does the "well annotated documents and well structured metadata”? If it isn’t any burden for the authors.
"Easy and little tooling" - I wonder what methods and tools you have in mind?

These have proved to be hard problems - otherwise we wouldn’t be having this painful discussion.

Best
Hugh