Re: [foaf-protocols] Announce: YouID for Android Released

Ive kinda moved on from pure browser theory (and I know that will alarm some purists).

But, the good news I feed is that the nuveau world of sandboxed apps (that talk https) still used good ol X.509 certs. Indeed, they make rather better use of client-authn certs than browser EVER did. I some sense, its like browsers were supposed to be (before PGP theorists threw out the baby with the bath water, for a quick fix [that didnt scale to a global trust model suiting consumers]).

Though we are JUST ABOUT to catch up with app-fever (started 4 years ago), we know that we do so ONLY because apps themselves are evolving - to (GUESS WHAT) be more like web-era browsers (doing HTML rendering, and HTML5-mediation to device-API features like location sensors or NSA’s remote microphones).

So, I feel that the linked-data story now has to merge with client certs mgt used now in app land - where the MDM (mobile device manager PROVISIONS the client cert, typically used to control the posture of the device - limiting its open behaviour to fit a endpoint security model. If we do so, then one has a hybrid trust model world, that is not just an NSA/CIA/DHS/NIST/FISMA/openid cyberwar prep initiative. The same cert can also be used in webby interactions (for loosely coupled trust models). that the set of such interactions IS constrained by the MDM (which says one can ONLY talk to certain linked data endpoints) by governance policy does NOT worry me - since we are SEEKING a nuveau happyland, that mixes public/enterprise/cloud/personal models of crypto that are NOT founded in internet militarism.

Sent from Surface Pro