Re: Semantic Web culture vs Startup culture

On 3/31/14 1:48 PM, Paul Houle wrote:
>   What makes me laff is that the same people who think "RDF sucks"
> think Neo4J is the bee's knees.  (Even if they've never quite shipped
> an actual product with it,  or if they did a demo it performs worse
> than the same demo I did with MySQL in 2002)
>
> Somehow,  SPARQL has never been seen as a "NoSQL" and I don't know why.

You hone into a really important point, basically (in my eyes) the crux
of the matter in regards to the RDF, Web Developers, and Startups driven
by Web Developers problem.

Basically, Database and Database Management System (DBMS) conflation has
created a major source of industry-wide confusion. You can't hold a
trivial discussion about Data without immediately hitting the Database
and DBMS conflation problem.

RDF enables one understand that a Database [1] is different from a
Database Management System [2] or Relational Database Management System
(RDBMS) [3]. It even goes much further by bringing relations to the
forefront of discussions about data -- which ultimately helps folks
understand how entity relations can be expressed, represented, and
ultimately managed in different ways.

The only way to neutralize the virtues of RDF is to conjure up and mass
promote an incomprehensible narrative that creates the illusion of it
being a content format. Sadly, that happened too :-(

[1] http://bit.ly/1lyoGMM -- Database
[2] http://bit.ly/1d6gvSR -- Database Management System
[3] http://bit.ly/1n1FrMr -- Relational Database Management System
[4] http://bit.ly/1gI9o4O -- NoSQL (Not Only SQL)