Re: Linked Data Fragments: Web-scale querying

On 3/19/14 11:14 AM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
> Hi Luca,
>
>> >Just finished reading the paper. Really great stuff. The idea of
>> >splitting a single resourceful SPARQL request into multiple
>> >fine-grained requests was always attractive to me and I've also
>> >thought of something similar (http://lmatteis.github.io/restpark/). I
>> >applaud you and your team for coming up with a formal client algorithm
>> >as well as a server implementation for offering this functionality.
> Thanks and some of the ideas seem similar to Restpark,
> especially the URI template and the examples,
> which come down to concrete applications of our algorithm.
>
> The main difference in the design process, I think,
> is that I started looking at it from the client perspective:
> what affordance does a client need to solve queries?
> Incorporating the total triple count and links to other fragments
> are very important to allow the right client-side decisions.
>
>> >I wonder, given a Linked Data set, if you could easily and generically
>> >wrap it with a basic LDF interface. Sort of how Pubby wraps SPARQL to
>> >expose Linked Data, maybe there can be a wrapper for a Linked Data
>> >site to expose basic LDF.
> In addition to Pieter's answer, who correctly points at the implementation
> of third-party tools, I would also point to our open-source basic LDF server:
> https://github.com/LinkedDataFragments/Server#supported-data-sources
>
> As you can see, it supports many back-ends out-of-the-box.
> This includes SPARQL endpoints, but also other triple sources
> such as Turtle files, and even other basic LDF sources.
>
> An interesting back-end is HDT (http://www.rdfhdt.org/),
> which we use to offerhttp://data.linkeddatafragments.org/dbpedia.
>
>> >* I build a nice site and my data is available as HTML, marked up with RDFa
>> >* Database is not a triple store, just regular MySQL
> So the easiest way to publish this as fragments could be to extend Datasource.
> For an example on how to do this, see
> https://github.com/LinkedDataFragments/Server/blob/master/lib/LevelGraphDatasource.js.
>
>> >Where I see LDF being a*huge*  deal is that I could use something to
>> >wrap my RDFa pages and expose a basic LDF server, without having to
>> >change any of my technology stack for my app. This could potentially
>> >allow thousands of RDFa providers to expose querying functionality
>> >with minimum effort.
> Indeed, and that's exactly what we aim for with basic LDFs:
> low-cost, queryable publishing of Linked Data.
> Let us know how it works out, or if we can help!
>
> Best,
>
> Ruben

Ruben,

How about making an RDF document that describes LDF? Producing such a
document would make its value proposition clearer. This approach is also
a nice case of Linked Data  dog-fooding e.g., the basis for the most
basic LDF utility example using an RDF document as the data source :-)

SUQIN does have such a document, for instance [1].

[1] http://squin.sourceforge.net/data.ttl -- raw data in turtle document

[2]
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsquin.org%2F%23squinSystem&graph=http%3A%2F%2Fsquin.sourceforge.net%2Fdata.ttl
-- viewing via URIBurner .