Re: General tuning for Dbpedia Spotlight

Hi Hugh,
If you set the &confidence parameter higher, you should see less spurious
annotations at the cost of some recall. Nevertheless, there will always be
an error here and there (trust me, this is often hard even for humans to
do).

We have two approaches that are deployed and publicly available for testing
purposes:
http://spotlight.dbpedia.org/rest/annotate
http://spotlight.sztaki.hu:2222/rest/annotate

The former is from 2010 and the latter from 2012. Their confidence scores
are computed differently and have different ranges. You can use content
negotiation to ask for HTML, JSON, XML or Turtle. Example calls with cURL
below.

curl http://spotlight.dbpedia.org/rest/annotate -d "confidence=0.4" -d
"text=A proposed monument to Union soldiers at Olustee Battlefield Historic
State Park has enraged the area’s Confederate descendants"

curl http://spotlight.sztaki.hu:2222/rest/annotate -d "confidence=0.9" -d
"text=A proposed monument to Union soldiers at Olustee Battlefield Historic
State Park has enraged the area’s Confederate descendants"

Here "confidence" and "text" are just HTTP parameters. Just let us know if
you need further help. I am copying our discussion list here.

Cheers,
Pablo

--

Pablo N. Mendes