Re: Five Stars of Linked Data Vocabulary Use

Dear Melvin,

just for clarification, the stars are for linked data vocabulary *use*.
In fact, this is the 'trick' we had in mind. You earn the stars for
using vocabularies to describe your data. The number of stars, however,
depends on certain criteria that these vocabularies have to fulfill and
this is where your question below comes into play.

Using those vocabularies will give you at least 2 stars. Now it becomes
more interesting. Have the developers of these vocabularies established
relations to other vocabularies (e.g., via reusing them or vocabulary
alignment), are metadata for those vocabularies available, and so forth.
What we need right now are not necessarily more sameAs links but
subClassOf and equivalentClass 'links' between vocabularies to foster
interoperability, query federation, ease the interpretation of data, and
so forth.

If we can encourage data publishers to publish linked data, use
vocabularies to give meaning to these data, use vocabularies that
improve querying across multiple sources, and are described in terms of
their scope, maintenance model, contact person, etc, then we have made
good progress towards making linked data easier to use for a broader
research community.

Best,
Krzysztof

On 04/17/2014 04:07 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 11 April 2014 03:45, Pascal Hitzler <pascal.hitzler@wright.edu
> <mailto:pascal.hitzler@wright.edu>> wrote:
>
>     An opinion piece re. linked data quality and reusability:
>
>     http://www.semantic-web-__journal.net/content/five-__stars-linked-data-vocabulary-__use
>     <http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/content/five-stars-linked-data-vocabulary-use>
>

>     (Semantic Web journal)
>
>     All comments and feedback welcome.
>

> Interesting paper.
>
> It would have been nice to have some examples.
>
> So where would common vocabularies rank on the star list?
>
> e.g.
>
> FOAF
> Dublin Core
> Schema.org
> Good Relations
> DBPedia
> DOAP
>
> All 5 star?
>

>     Best Regards,
>
>     Pascal.
>     --
>     Prof. Dr. Pascal Hitzler
>     Dept. of Computer Science, Wright State University, Dayton, OH
>     pascal@pascal-hitzler.de <mailto:pascal@pascal-hitzler.de>
>     http://www.pascal-hitzler.de
>     Semantic Web Textbook: http://www.semantic-web-book.__org
>     <http://www.semantic-web-book.org>
>     Semantic Web Journal: http://www.semantic-web-__journal.net
>     <http://www.semantic-web-journal.net>

--
Krzysztof Janowicz

5806 Ellison Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4060

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu
Webpage: http://geog.ucsb.edu/~jano/