Re: How to avoid that collections "break" relationships

On 04/09/2014 12:57 AM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
>> What then is RDF for you?
> The Resource Description Framework.
> It is a framework to describe resources,
> and this includes predicates.
> Anybody can define predicates the way they want,
> otherwise RDF is useless to express semantics.

Ok, I describe ex:BaseballPlayer as
ex:BaseballPlayer owl:equivalentClass _:x .
_:x owl:intersectionOf ( ex:Person  [ owl:onProperty ex:plays; owl:hasValue
ex:Baseball ] )

Is this RDF?  Should all consumers of RDF understand all of this?
>> For example, do you consider N3 to be RDF?
> No, quantification is not part of RDF.

Why not?  I could certainly define an encoding of quanfification in RDF and
use it to define predicates.

>> Can predicates have non-local effects?
> A predicate indicates a relationship between an object and a subject.
> What this relationship means is described in the ontology to which the predicate belongs.
>
> Predicates may not influence non-related triples,
> however, other triples might be influenced through a cascade of relations.

Why not?  I can define predicates however I want, after all?

>> What does using owl:differentFrom in RDF commit you to?
> It says that two things are different.
> Clients that can interpret this predicate can apply its meaning.
> This application does not change the model.

What model?  Do  you mean that all you care about is the abstract syntax?
What about rdf:type?  What about rdfs:domain?  Do all consumers of RDF need to
commit to the standard meaning of these predicates?

>> To me, what RDF does not do is just as important and what it does do.  This means that RDF captures only the RDF bit of the meaning of predicates - the rest of their meaning remains inaccessible from RDF.  Any attempt to go beyond this is … going beyond RDF and it is very important do realize this.
> RDF is just the model. Giving a predicate meaning is not extending the model.

How so?  What else is giving a predicate meaning besides extending the  model?

> Best,
>
> Ruben

I am really struggling to understand your view of RDF.

peter