Re: SPARQL results in RDF

From: Dave Reynolds <dave.e.reynolds@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 14:53:16 +0100
To: public-lod@w3.org
Hi Damian,

On 25/09/13 14:16, Damian Steer wrote:
> On 25/09/13 12:03, Stuart Williams wrote:
>> On 25/09/2013 11:26, Hugh Glaser wrote:
>>> You'll get me using CONSTRUCT soon :-)
>>> (By the way, Tim's actual CONSTRUCT WHERE query isn't allowed because
>>> of the FILTER).
>>
>> Good catch... yes - I've been bitten by that kind of thing too... that
>> not all that's admissible in a WHERE 'body', is admissible in a
>> CONSTRUCT 'body'.
>
> As far as I'm aware it is -- Tim's original simply misplaced a curly
> brace. The filter ought to be in the WHERE body.
>
> CONSTRUCT is essentially SELECT with a tabular data -> rdf system bolted
> at the end of the pipeline.

I think the point people were making is that the syntactic shortform
"CONSTRUCT WHERE" with implicit template only applies when you have a
simple basic graph pattern [1].

If the WHERE clause is more complex, e.g. with a FILTER, then you need
an explicit construct template.

Dave

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#constructWhere