Re: Computer science publisher needs help with RDFa/HTTP technical issue [Re: How are RDFa clients expected to handle 301 Moved Permanently?]

On 10/25/13 12:03 PM, Christoph LANGE wrote:
> it seems the RDFa mailing list is not that active any more, as I haven't
> got an answer for this question for two weeks.  As my question is also
> related to LOD publishing, let me try to ask it here.  We, the
> publishers of CEUR-WS.org, are facing a technical issue involving RDFa
> and hash vs. slash URIs/URLs.

What is your problem re. entity denotation?

Simple rule of thumb:

1. Denote documents using URLs
2. Denote every other kind of entity using hash (as "#") based HTTP URIs.

If "#" based HTTP URIs pose deployment problems, then you can consider
using "/" based HTTP URIs, but you then have to take look to one of the
following issues that require tweaks to your data server:

1. Use the Path component (part) of your HTTP URIs to set up regular
expression pattern-friendly markers that distinguish HTTP URIs that
denote documents from those that denote every other type of entity --
basically, this is what you see re. "/page/" (for description documents)
and "/resource/" (for every other entity type/kind) re., DBpedia

2. Use 303 to redirect entity URIs to the document URLs that denote
their descriptors (description documents).

If using 303 redirection presents deployment challenges, bearing in mind
latest revisions to HTTP, you can use a 200 OK instead of a 303, but you
MUST place the URL of the entity descriptor (description document) in
the "Location: " header of your HTTP responses i.e., use HTTP response
metadata to handle the ambiguity that "/" based HTTP URIs present.

In my experience with RDFa, I've found it easiest to deploy using
relative hash based HTTP URIs.

Links:

[1] http://bit.ly/15tk1Au -- hash based Linked Data URI illustrated
[2] http://bit.ly/11xnQ36 -- hashless or slash based Linked Data URI