Re: ANN: DBpedia 3.9 released, including wider infobox coverage, additional type statements, and new YAGO and Wikidata links

On 10/4/13 10:22 AM, Leigh Dodds wrote:
> Hi Hugh,
>
> Hasn't dbpedia always suffered from this? I've tended to do the same
> as you and have encountered similar inconsistencies. I've never really
> figured out whether its down to inconsistency encoding in the data
> conversion or something else.
>
> Cheers,
>
> L.

The dumps need owl:sameAs or redirects relation based triples. A course
of action could be to place these triples in a special dataset which
then makes loading optional.

I've also added the DBpedia list to the thread.

Kingsley

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hi.
>> Chris has suggested I send the following to the LOD list, as it may be of interest to several people:
>>
>> Hi Chris.
>> Great stuff!
>>
>> I have a question.
>> Or would you prefer I put it on the LOD list for discussion?
>>
>> It is about url encoding.
>>
>> Dbpedia:
>> http://dbpedia.org/page/Ashford_%28borough%29 is not found
>> http://dbpedia.org/page/Ashford_(borough) works, and redirects to
>>          http://dbpedia.org/resource/Borough_of_Ashford
>> Wikipedia:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashford_%28borough%29 works
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashford_(borough) works
>> Both go to the page with content of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borough_of_Ashford although the URL in the address bar doesn't change.
>>
>> So the problem:
>> I usually find things in wikipedia, and then use the last bit to construct the dbpedia URI - I suspect lots of people do this.
>> But as you can see, the url encoded URI, which can often be found in the wild, won't allow me to do this.
>> There are of course many wikipedia URLs with "(" and ")" in them - (artist), (programmer), (borough) etc.
>> It is also the same with comma and single quote.
>>
>> I think this may be different from 3.8, but can't be sure - is it intended?
>>
>> Very best
>> Hugh

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software