Re: Final CFP: In-Use Track ISWC 2013

On 05/02/2013 11:58 AM, Harry Halpin wrote:
> Please read more careful from conference chairs like myself and Daniel
> Schwabe why experiments including even "plain old" HTML have failed so
> far unfortunately. Namely, broken links to images, lack of
> convertibility to PDF needed for book printing, etc.

Yes, I have read and we already went over that. I've pointed out [2] and
we got to [3] on that particular line of thought.

So, there is no clear "it just didn't work". When (time frame) did it
not work? What didn't work exactly? What are our TODOs? Lets not point
fingers. As I've said, we all have equal responsibility in pushing this
forward.

> What I do (see for example, my thesis [1]) is publish HTML versions of
> paper on my website when I have the time. However, the main problem even
> with self-publishing HTML of academic papers is that tex2html, which is
> necessary for the conversion (I don't use Word) seems not to have been
> updated since like 1996 :)

Link is not working for me at the moment, but that's cool that you've
put up an HTML version.

My only nitpick on that is that you started out from TeX, and not HTML.
I would have preferred to go in the other direction, but that's just me
and again, that's not debate worthy either.

> The  burden of making a working toolchain I think falls on those who
> want it. I'd like it, but not enough to devote the time to work on it as
> my time is already overbooked.

> [1]http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin/thesis

Very well understood! But, this is the community's burden. "Us and them"
breaks our momentum.

You give a go ahead, and explain what exactly you want in your CfPs, and
keep that announcement open. What's the worst it could happen? You don't
get people submitting in that format today because something is not 100%
structured or pixel perfect? Fine. Maybe tomorrow it will be, given that
we are going to work towards it. It is better to see that possibility
(in other words, a vision) open than not seeing it in the first place.

It is highly likely that not everyone is going to jump on the
possibility over night. It is going to be a gradual shift. But you have
some responsibility (like I have mine, and others have theirs) to keep
that door open.

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2013Apr/0341.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2013Apr/0349.html

-Sarven