Re: Why is it bad practice to consume Linked Data and publish opaque HTML pages?

Hi Kingsley, all:

This is an important subject. Thanks for bringing it up.

W3C Prov [1] provides helpful constructs for providing just such
attribution in linked data. In particular, ways to denote attribution
(prov:wasAttributedTo), derivation (prov:wasDerivedFrom), quotation
(prov:wasQuotedFrom), and the original source of information
(prov:hadPrimarySource).

We also provide mechanisms for discovering provenance using standard web
mechanisms for resource's on the web [2]

We hope that these constructs and mechanisms help make it easier for people
to expose attribution information in a structured way and give credit where
credit is due.

regards
Paul

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-primer/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-aq/

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>wrote:

> All,
>
> " Citing sources is useful for many reasons: (a) it shows that it isn't a
> half-baked idea I just pulled out of thin air, (b) it provides a reference
> for anybody who wants to dig into the subject, and (c) it shows where the
> ideas originated and how they're likely to evolve." -- John F. Sowa [1].
>
> An HTTP URI is an extremely powerful citation and attribution mechanism.
> Incorporate Linked Data principles and the power increases exponentially.
>
> It is okay to consume Linked Data from wherever and publish HTML documents
> based on source data modulo discoverable original sources Linked Data URIs.
>
> It isn't okay, to consume publicly available Linked Data from sources such
> as the LOD cloud and then republish the extracted content using HTML
> documents, where the original source Linked Data URIs aren't undiscoverable
> by humans or machines.
>
> The academic community has always had a very strong regard for citations
> and source references. Thus, there's no reason why the utility of Linked
> Data URIs shouldn't be used to reinforce this best-practice, at Web-scale .
>
> Links:
>
> 1. http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/**ontolog-forum/2013-03/**msg00084.html<http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2013-03/msg00084.html>-- ontolog list post .
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Kingsley Idehen
> Founder & CEO
> OpenLink Software
> Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
> Personal Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/**blog/~kidehen<http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen>
> Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen
> Google+ Profile: https://plus.google.com/**112399767740508618350/about<https://plus.google.com/112399767740508618350/about>
> LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/**kidehen<http://www.linkedin.com/in/kidehen>

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
- Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group |
  Artificial Intelligence Section | Department of Computer Science
- The Network Institute
VU University Amsterdam