Re: ORCID no longer relevant?

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>wrote:

>  On 3/12/13 11:18 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
> On 3/12/13 10:57 AM, Jonathan A Rees wrote:
>
> Remember it took a while for DOIs to become linked-data-friendly.
> I suspect ORCID has limited staff that is swamped with work and LD is not
> a priority for them.
> I say give them a year or two to get up to speed and in the meantime
> continue to submit bug reports.
>
>  It's not clear to me whether they identify profiles or people (or
> something else). Might be a good idea to figure that out before using the
> URIs in RDF.
>

> Jonathan,
>
> From the ORCID web site [1]:
>
> "ORCID is an open, non-profit, community-based effort to create and
> maintain a registry of unique researcher identifiers and a transparent
> method of linking research activities and outputs to these identifiers. "

Not to be too much of a stickler, but that isn't a spec, and isn't a clear
statement. For instance the scope of "unique" isn't clear, and I can, with
little effort, imagine a scenario where that uniqueness means that no two
researchers have the same identifier (but can have more than one), but they
identify names, and that the "transparent" method is that they have
equivalences among the names.

We need something definitive here.

As for the comments about ORCIDS not being suitable for linked data, that
is a very narrow view. Having a large system of person identifiers that
many organizations agree they will use means that there's the possibility
of linking what the people do very easily. That ORCID itself doesn't supply
resolvable URIs (yet) doesn't mean that others can't use those identifiers
when publishing information as linked data. And if they do it will be very
very useful.

So back to clarification. We need to know what the ORCID identifies
(pair(name, person) or person), and what the definitive URI is for that
ORCID. (let's have one case be UO1)

I would then expect many other groups to publish information whose
foaf:primaryTopic is what the above URI identifies. Queries to different
repositories could then reliably be for either cases where
  - <UO1> is the subject of some assertion,  or
  - <documentURI> foaf:primaryTopic <UO1>.

-Alan