 From: John Erickson <olyerickson@gmail.com>
To: Víctor Rodríguez Doncel <vrodriguez@fi.upm.es>
Cc: Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: Licensing advice

My two cents: In many legal regimes it has been successfully argued
that "code is speech." The imperative vs declarative distinction is
likely to fail; if the code conveys "information" intended to control
the operation of another system, it can be argued that it is a form of
speech (and not merely "data," for which different IP rules may
apply). Consider the DeCSS trials (and tribulations) of the last
decade <http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise50.html>

People interested in this topic might enjoy Gabriella Coleman's "Code
is Speech" (2009) <http://bit.ly/CodeIsSpeech> and "Coding Freedom"
(2013) <http://bit.ly/CodingFreedom>

--
John S. Erickson, Ph.D.