Re: Linked Data & RDFa

On 18 January 2013 11:23, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:

> With RDFa maturing (RDFa 1.1, particularly Lite), I wanted to ask here
> about attitudes to RDFa.
>
> I have acquired the impression somehow that in the Linked Data scene,
> people lean more towards the classic 'a doc for the humans, another
> for the machines' partitioning model. Perhaps this is just a
> consequence of history; digging around some old rdfweb/foaf
> discussions[1] I realise just how far we've come. RDFa wasn't an
> option for a long time; but it is now.
>
> So - questions. How much of the linked data cloud is expressed in some
> variant HTML+RDFa alongside RDF/XML, Turtle etc.? When/if you do so,
> are you holding some data back and keeping it only in the
> machine-oriented dumps, or including it in the RDFa? Are you finding
> it hard to generate RDFa from triple datasets because it's 'supposed'
> to be intermingled with human text? What identifiers (if any) are you
> assigning to real-world entities? Dataset maintainers ... as you look
> to the future is RDFa in your planning? Did/does Microdata confuse the
> picture?
>
> I'm curious where we are with this...

FWIW I personally use RDFa (+XHTML) on my homepage and as the basis for a
distributed social network.  I'm happy to say at this point we can do
pretty much everything except photos, but I expect that to happen Q1 of
this year.

RDFa (and RDFa lite) I think are unique in that they are data
representations that the browser can click.  When you use curl or a
programming language, you can set the MIME type.  With a browser, this is
no longer true and you must accept the 'default'.  This makes HTML + data a
compelling serialization.

I'm not 100% up to date on the latest coming together of microdata and RDFa
... one important thing that RDFa allows is several subjects per page
either absolute or relative (via # for example).  Does microdata have the
same facility of dividing a document into sections via # and allowing you
to add key value pairs?