Re: A Distributed Economy -- A blog involving Linked Data

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Brent Shambaugh
> <brent.shambaugh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> This spring I started a blog that deals with Linked Data, among other
>> things. It is called A Distributed Economy. I am not certain that it will
>> work, or that I even will be able to accomplish it on my own. The exciting
>> thing however, is that I am discovering that a lot of the parts of it are
>> being built. I hope that sharing this blog will be of value to the
>> community. I cannot claim to be an expert. Actually, my formal education is
>> in Chemical Engineering. But it is exciting.
>>
>> It may be found at: http://adistributedeconomy.blogspot.com/
>>
>> If you'd like, please let me know what you think. I'm always trying to
>> discover new things, and discover things I haven't thought of.
>>
>> -Brent
>>

> Brent, I'd like to humbly suggest that it might be worth your time to
> become acquainted with the http://p2pfoundation.net (The Foundation
> for Peer-to-Peer alternatives). I've copied P2PF founder Michel
> Bauwens on this email, as well. P2PF is interested in people carrying
> out legitimate explorations into distributed economies.

For what it's worth, I am quietly and privately experimenting with
integrating RDF data/SPARQL endpoints into various local and regional
projects, exploring and attempting to find a good model for
integrating with tools people already use for solving real-world
problems (food production being the my current area of focus.)

Also, of course, exploring sound use of existing vocabularies, and
when needed, exploring the creation of new vocabularies via
http://neologism.deri.ie/ tool. The goal is to start building public
data of many kinds around local and regional food production in the
midwest USA region that I am in now. I think that eventually
publishing this data will lead to the possibility of participating in
experiments in economics around the data. Previous work in this space
has taught me the lesson that many of you are reflecting in this
thread: it all starts with having the actual data. People need to get
it published in an interoperable way. Then, the door is open to
explore multiple plausible outcomes in reality. So, now, I am quietly
and carfefully focusing on that data. Thanks for all of your  work and
general advice. I am looking forward to ramping all of this up in the
coming months.